Saturday, September 28, 2013

"Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall." F. Scott Fitzgerald

It's the most wonderful time of the year folks! These next 4 months or so are my absolute favorite. For me, nothing beats that first morning waking up knowing that the heat of summer is gone (at least for a brief minute in Missouri), and that colder weather is on it's way. Fall daylight savings time is a close second though :).

Every year, I go back and forth with winter and fall being my favorite seasons. After it snowed on my last day of undergrad classes in May, however, I think I am officially a fall convert (though snow will always hold a special place in my heart). As a kid, even, I halfheartedly looked forward to summer, but the second it was time to check out the "Back to School" section at Target I was raring to go! I have always loved school. My parents may even argue that it's a tad too much since I'll have officially put off the job search for 7 years by the time I graduate. And who knows, that doctorate degree is looking better and better each day :).

This year, however, is especially magical. My last post, I was definitely feeling the stress of trying to adapt to grad school life. A month later, I'm having the time of my life. It's like I'm finally getting that redo of college and am making the most out of it! I have been surrounded by the most wonderful co-workers, friends, and classmates. I know I've said that before, but it's so undeniably true!

I came into grad school hoping to meet a good friend or two, and I've ended up with a couple handfuls! I expected Student Activities to be a great learning experience with Admissions as the end goal. But now, I'm starting to think I've become a Student Activities convert as well! Every single day at work is an adventure. I've done things I never expected to, like running a talent show or becoming the tech expert for My Central or having a creepy Easter bunny interrupt me mid-report at a meeting. The students I get to work with make my days at work, no matter how stressful it may have been, fun and rewarding. Admissions will always be dear to me, but I'm starting to realize how blessed I am to have multiple options and paths to take within this field that I love so much.

So, to kick off these magical months, here's a list of reasons why it's the most wonderful time of the year:

1.) colder weather = snuggling up in boots, scarves, and sweaters
2.) football season--still basking in ISU's win two nights ago
3.) holiday decor = my apartment will be festive non-stop until well after my birthday in January
4.) a holiday each month (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, & my golden b-day!)
5.) pumpkin flavored everything
6.) the best season of candles from Bath & Body
7.) new classes and new school supplies
8.) leaves changing and snow falling
9.) Hocus Pocus in the background at all times
10.) breaks from work and school to spend with loved ones

Frank says it better: the best is yet to come :).

No comments:

Post a Comment